Did you know that May 21st was Eat More Fruits and Vegetables Day? It’s also when many of our favourite fruits and vegetables like apricots, strawberries and lettuce are in season and more readily available (often cheaper too!).
It’s thought that nearly 100,000 years ago, our ancestors first started foraging and eventually cultivating plants. Today, our diets have changed immensely with the convenience of fast and processed food, leading to a global increase in deadly lifestyle diseases. Combating these diseases was the intention behind starting Eat More Fruits and Vegetables Day.
Canada’s current Food Guide, revamped in 2019, is now introduced with a photo of a plate with 50% fruits and veggies, 25% protein and 25% grains. If you head to https://food-guide.canada.ca/ you can read more about all the necessary nutrients we get by eating a diverse palate of fruits and veggies.
If you’re looking for affordable fruits and veggies, every Wednesday from 2pm to 6:30pm at The Corner @ 240 Wellesley St. E, Sherbourne Health hosts a Market Greens. Anyone can drop in and purchase low-cost fruits and vegetables and there’s a community dietician onsite for any questions you have!
Remember, it’s important to still eat the cultural foods we grew up with, just look for ways to add a bit more fruit and vegetables to your plate!
Some simple, low-cost ways to eat more fruits and vegetables!
- Add canned pureed pumpkin or squash to your favourite soups or stews (or bake a pie!) for added vitamin A, C and potassium
- Add frozen spinach or leafy greens to your stir-frys, rice and stews for added vitamin C, potassium and calcium
- Snack on cut carrots or grate them on top of salad for added vitamins A, K and fiber
- Bake, grill or spiralize zucchini for added vitamins B6 and C
- Add bananas to your favourite cereal for added vitamin B6, C and potassium
- Blend frozen berries into your favourite smoothie or as a base to overnight oats for added vitamin C, antioxidants and fiber
- Visit The Corner @ 240 on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays (12pm-4pm) for a $5 vegetarian meal!
Simple Recipes to Eat More Fruits and Vegetables
- Easy Overnight Oats 6 ways
- Easy Channa Masala
- Easy Veggie Stir-fry
- Easy & Healthy Peach Cobbler