Programs and Workshops
After School Programs for Children 4 years to 13 years old
- Art Therapy Program: Express yourself through art, in a safe and welcoming atmosphere. Unique arts and craft creations each week.
- Story Time & Crafts: Children enjoy listening to stories and make a simple craft each week
- Story Time & Games: Children enjoy listening to stories and participate in play activities that incorporate movement and sound
- Kids Movie Night: Come enjoy a movie at the Corner! Family welcome, but staff/volunteer available to child mind. Ages 6+
- Intro to Guitar: Learn the basics of guitar in a group class. Ages 8+
- 1-1 Piano Lessons: Learn how to play piano. The class is currently full. Contact The Corner for more information/waiting list.
- Young Man’s Karate Class: A karate class for young men ages 6+
- Take the LEAD: A social justice club for youths, ages 12-14.
- Creative Writing Workshop for Youth: Through writing exercises, readings and discussion, youth explore their creativity and imagination through sharing poems and short stories.
- Break Dance Workshop: Learn the basics of this urban street dance style in a friendly, non-competitive environment. Currently seeking volunteer to be Teacher/Group Leader.
- Homework Support Club: Daily homework support for children 6-13 years old. Currently seeking volunteer to be Teacher/Group Leader.
- Chess Club: Solve chess puzzles and play games. Learn new skills and strategies each week. Currently seeking volunteer to be Teacher/Group Leader.
- English Conversation: A great course for people who want to practice speaking English and be able to communicate with others
- English Grammar: The course covers grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation. All the materials are provided.
- English Conversation Circle for Chinese Seniors: Designed for seniors, this event allows you to practice your conversation skills.
- French for Beginners for Adults: Teens & adults welcome to learned the basic French conversation and grammar
- Spanish for Intermediate: Have you completed our beginners Spanish, if so then you are ready for our intermediate level Spanish
- Basic Computer Training: Learn Microsoft word, excel & power point, saving documents and much more
- Repair Cafe: Learn to repair various electronics / bring your things to be fixed. By the community, for the community. Coming March 2018
- Citizenship Workshops/Settlement service: For those new to Canada, assistance with employment, education, citizenship and more
- Investing in Families: (For clients on OW, only.) Families in St James Town (M4X) who want access to recreation but cannot afford it can get funding for programs, equipment, clothing and transportation for their children (waiting list)
- Toronto Community Housing Corp: Support with housing issues for those facing eviction or other landlord/ tenant issues
Physical Exercise & Social Groups
- Seniors Day Programming (55+): Socialize, learn about & be connected to physical and or mental health resources & services
- Yoga : Yoga is a great way to help with overall health and helps with depression, mental alertness, energy and overall fitness
- Spiritual Sharing Circle: Exploring indigenous medicine, spirituality, history, culture and community. With our guest leader, Adrien Levesque. Feb 15 2018, 6:00pm-8:00pm
- Family Doctor Clinic: Call prior to visit for availability
- Dental Service Support: Assessment available to determine if free services or geared to income programs can benefit clients.
- Diabetes Clinic & Screening: Individual appointment with certified diabetes educators to learn about managing your diabetes
- Healthy Living Workshop: To provide diabetes education service for people living with diabetes.
Counselling Services and Support
- Counselling: One to one appointments with a counsellor who can provide mental health support.
- Substance Abuse Support Group: Double recovery program is a self-help meeting that supports people living with substance abuse
- Newcomer Health Workshop Series: Join the newcomer health workshop series to learn more about Ontario’s Health Care System
- Counselling & Legal Support for Women: General support for women who need counselling and legal assistance
- Wellness Information provided in Tamil & English: Support for those seeking answers to health and wellness issues
- Employment Service: Employment search support. Help with cover letters, resumes, job search and interview preparation
- Dinner Parties / Holiday events
- Abstract Art Class: (every 2nd Saturday, 10:00am-12:00pm) Learn the ins and outs of abstract painting with our talented teacher, Sarah Terill. Contact The Corner to register.
- Movie Night: (every 2nd Friday evening @ 5:30 – 7:00) A movie for kids. Families welcome! Staff/Vols on hand to lead.
- Kids’ Activity Night: (every 2nd Friday evening @ 5:30 – 7:00) An activity for kids. Families welcome! Staff/Vols on hand to lead.
- Pet Food Bank: (Second Thursday of each month) Pet food available to the community
- The Writing Janitor: (Thursday evenings, 5:00 – 7:00) Need any help writing ANYTHING — a cover letter, an email, school work, social media posts, something creative, or anything in between? Make an appointment with our Writing Janitor today!! Must make appointment, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Social Media: Learn helpful tips to using social media for job search, information and other activities
- Fundraising Events: BBQ and street festivals are planned to help raise funds to support the St. Jamestown community