The Corner Anti-Racism Statement of Commitment
The murder of George Floyd by Minnesota police has served as a worldwide awakening to the rampant systemic racism that pervades societies internationally. Mr. Floyd was an ordinary man who leaves an extraordinary legacy of hope and change. This event has mobilized The Corner to make explicit how our policies and practices will contribute to the social justice change necessary to eliminate Anti-Black racism.
The Corner stands side by side with Black, Indigenous and People of Colour (BIPOC) communities to advance an inclusive, diverse, safe and socially just St. James Town. In order to achieve this we will need to find new and creative ways to address racism in our community. The following will guide our actions to ensure that this work is embedded in our day to day interactions and activities. The Corner will:
- Review, reflect on and refresh our Anti-Racist and Anti-Oppression (ARAO) policies and practices in our governance model and operations to ensure that they live up to our commitment.
- Collaborate with partners, funders and other community stakeholders to implement innovative Anti-Racist and Anti-Oppression strategies to advance systems change that enables equitable and inclusive participation by BIPOC communities.
- Ensure that clients and residents are engaged in assessing and reviewing The Corner’s work based on the framework of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI).
- Create a performance review tool that incorporates EDI and ARAO as measures of assessing performance.
- Ensure that race based data collection is utilized to provide appropriate programs and services to BIPOC communities.
- Ensure that internal and external communications explicitly address Anti-Racist and Anti-Oppression objectives.
- Recognise and appreciate the various cultures and histories of our BIPOC communities through mutual learning opportunities.
- Introduce short, age appropriate, and visual Anti- Racism trainings regarding unconscious biases that foster empathy and build social connections for the employees, and for the clients (adult and youth clients) in the different programs run at the Corner.
- Apply Anti-Racist and Anti-Oppression (ARAO) policies and practices in our recruitment strategies for leadership in governance, management and programming.
- Strive to have the difficult conversations that address everyday racism in our organization and in our community.
- Provide the time and space to debrief interactions between staff, partners and clients that affect BIPOC communities.