240 Share and Reuse Space aims to achieve the following objectives within the St. James Town neighbourhood and surrounding areas:
- Educating and orienting residents on the importance of waste reduction and reuse
- Programs and partnerships to increase reuse of items, sharing, and waste reduction
- Providing opportunities for sharing and repairing
- Offering skills training and creating career pathways and other economic opportunities
- Enabling capacity building and providing volunteering and leadership opportunities
- Creating a space for the community to gather and exchange ideas and concepts
During the months of October and November, the 240 Space team put in a tremendous amount of effort to organize and animate the space. This was done with the help of several resident volunteers, especially youth who were involved in putting up shelves, peg boards and who helped to organize the space. Currently, efforts are ongoing to decorate the space and residents and volunteers are contributing to this with ideas and ornaments. Residents have also contributed by donating plants for the space.
The Share and Reuse Tool Library, the most integral part of the 240 Space, is now operational and residents can borrow tools. The tool library has items including hand tools, power tools, kitchen equipment, board games, sports equipment, camping equipment and more that residents can borrow and return free of cost. Several residents and partners inspired by the concept of share and reuse continue to donate items, both new and used for the library.
If you have items that you feel can be shared among the community members, please get in touch with us for information on making donations.
The space is also running several programs including Fix-it Mondays, in partnership with Repair Café, Design and Make your Own Clothes, Trash to Treasure, Computer and Laptop Maintenance, and Bike Clinic, which are led and facilitated by resident volunteers. Please get in touch to register for the programs. We are also exploring ideas and concepts for new programs that will resonate with the idea of Share and Reuse.
If you would like to initiate and lead a program at the 240 Share and Reuse Space please write to us.